Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

This Week's "On Language"

One of the firm groundings I received from my beloved late parents was the understanding that one of the best forms of humor was the lowly pun. It and other language jokes. They both tended to be more amused by verbal humor than by visual, slapstick attempts at humor. My dad could chuckle for hours at a particularly delicious pun.

That being said, I am reminded this week of one of the earliest verbal jokes that I can recall from my childhood. This week's reminder comes courtesy of the death notices for Fess Parker.
There was a line in the ballad "The Legend of Davy Crockett" that always cracked me up, once I got it. See if you can pick out the gem from this verse:

Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee,
Greenest state in the land of the free.
Lived in the woods where he knew every tree;
Killed him a b'ar when he was only three.
Davy
Davy Crockett
King of the wild frontier.
OK, it doesn't take that much to amuse a nine year old kid.

3 comments:

KevinDaniel said...

well, i'll agree puns are the lowest form of humor.... but for the life of me i can't find a pun in the song, except for maybe "b'ar" which i don't know what is being punned there, what other than bear could be meant.... i actually clicked on to see what you had to say about the health care bill passing, but maybe i have beaten the punch....

Wanderinggrandpa said...

My apologies for the slight misdirection. I didn't really say this verse contained a pun. Turns out this was merely a verbal joke in which one is fooled if one believes there was a grammatical error in the ballad. "Killed him a "b'ar" when HE was only three." Who is the "HE"? One is drawn toward assuming the HE is Davy. But how could Davy kill a bear at age three? Turns out the joke was that the grammar was correct. The "HE" referred to the closest noun or pronoun; and that was the bear. So, Davy killed a bear when the bear was only three. But the composer of the ballad phrases it so that we think Davy heroic, not ordinary.

KevinDaniel said...

this is why we need to have a language like ancient greek or latin: all those endings clear that stuff up .... admittedly i never knew this, and so now my thoughts on the song are a bit like the child's who realizes the favorite uncle is picking on his heroic father figure. don't like the composer now at all.